Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Encounter with the Kerala Government

We all go through life with some preconceived notions…notions based on assumptions and stories we hear from others. One of the most common one people have is about government organizations and their speed and efficiency. It’s true that more often than not, these notions seem to be justified. But today, I had an experience which changed my views to a certain extent.
I had gone to the government office responsible for conducting elections a few days back to apply for my Election Voter ID card. They asked me submit my form and come today.
I received excellent treatment from the people at the office, as good as at any other private sector enterprise….really professional work….Verification of identity, taking of a digital photograph and uploading, printing of the ID card, lamination and final stamp…everything took just 30-40 mins. Though i am not very happy about the quality of the photograph...the lighting and other aspects weren't good enough to bring out the natural rugged good looks of mine :P ...still ...a very pleasant surprise for me…b’cos I had no hopes of getting the ID card anytime soon.
What we always assume government officials to do is take bribes, slow down work and be generally dumbasses. What I saw today was totally to the contrary. The officials were professional, smart, efficient and very helpful. It’s a thankless job for them…. paid a pittance, having to bear the ire of irate citizens and poor working conditions. In spite of all this, they were still doing an admirable job.
I think its time for the government to affect an image makeover and try and dispel all these notions about its working and make a government job a matter of pride for the people once more. They owe it to their employees.

2 comments:

Vimal said...

Guess what, I had a very similar experience when I got my voter's ID card around a year back. Our country is in such a bad shape that we get overjoyed suddenly when things go as per the book.
Anyways, I feel that these miracles are restricted to just this one department. The reason might be that the employess used here are part-timers who get a daily wage and used just for those days. I will need a separate post to describe some of the atrocities that happen in the Govt. organizations

Simba said...

The emplyees that handle the election id thing are actually permanent govt employees. It was not a election id round right now..the ofice is open throghout the year and you can go anytime ad get ur id made..