Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Blogging: What i never considered !!

People tend to do arbit things when they have way too much time on their hands…some “gyan” addition. After deciding to start blogging I started wondering what to blog about. The first post was just a copy of an email I sent, but what NOW? Why am I blogging??? What do I want to write about? I decided to do a bit of research into the history of blogging. Found some interesting things like the origin of the word “blog”; it actually comes from “web log”. Anyway…while I was going through all these things, I came upon things that I hadn’t even considered before I started blogging…the ramifications …
When I started blogging, I thought that this is a place where I could write what I wanted, my unadulterated opinions, and my views and have an honest discussion with people who might have differing opinions.
But apparently, that’s not so. Writing a blog is serious business, at least in this phase of our lives when we r moving from a student life to that of a professional one. It turns out that a lot of companies monitor blogs of their employees or prospective employees. There have been countless instances of people losing their jobs or losing out on them b’cos of something they wrote in their blogs, never assuming that its ramifications could spill on to their real life from their online one. Forget about work, people are doing a background check on their prospective brides and grooms using the net, checking out the blogs and social networking sites like Orkut etc.
So if you thought a blog was a place where you could be the REAL YOU…you are mistaken. You will again be forced to live behind a mask, not letting others know what you really think b’cos what you write here will be used against you, probably WITHOUT your knowledge. That’s what makes this so sad. I don’t mind taking responsibility for my words, deeds or thoughts. In fact, I am strongly against people who hide behind the anonymity that a blog affords them and refuse to take responsibility for their opinions. But at least let those who dare to stand up, be given a chance to defend themselves. Do not judge them without hearing them out… What happened to Gaurav Sabnis and to Rashmi Bansal some time back over the IIPM issue was not the same as what I am talking about right now…they did get a chance to defend themselves.
Anyway, I have decided to write what I feel like, but with some prudence…what say?? hehehe…anyway..i dont expect that this blog will be picked up that that soon and to that extent..so what the hell !!!

2 comments:

Shubh said...

Don't bother about hypocrites, and don't bother about ramifications....i have never known you to shy away from stuff (except the usual fattugiri that you keep doing!), so why should mallukuttystories be any different...

There! My first comment... !
I have given up ignoring you... but you ain't online anyway!

Unknown said...

indeed blogging is a serious task...just write from your heart and it sure would strike the right chords !