- Provide home delivery of food whenever flattie/roomie goes out on his/her own
- Pick-up/drop facilities when flattie/roomie is in need of transportation
- Give a patient hearing when Flattie/Roomie is in a bad mood and wants to unload some frustration
- Help tide over tight cash flow situations
- Rescue flattie/Roomie from fights where he/she is sure to lose
- Provide company when flattie/roomie wants to drown his/her sorrows in alcohol
- Shopping assistance, including going to out of the world places in search of bargains, providing expert feedback on clothes selected, get different sizes of clothes when Roomie/Flattie is in the changing room, help with money to pay for the purchases, help carry the loot back home and finally, appreciate the selection during the late night fashion show at home
- (Added on a CA-MBA working with Axis's request) One more important duty of flattie is : "He should help in patofying a girl and if the other flattie already has a gf..flattie has a moral responisbility of staying away from her"
I & my Flattie, who, till now, was the epitome of the perfect Flattie, went out shopping yesterday for a pair of track pants. As the model flatmate, I had supported him in this quest from day 1 (starting about an year back) when he thought it was high time he started working out. He STILL thinks it high time he started working out and hence the frequent shopping expeditions.
2 malls and 5 stores later and nothing to show for it, I happened to come across a “different” T-shirt that I quite fancied. So I told my Flattie that I was going to the trial room with the said item. 5 mins later, standing at the door of the trial room, I looked around for my Flattie, but he was not to be seen anywhere. So I called him on the phone, “Hey, where the %^$$# are you??” Flattie, “umm…where are you, which floor….ok ok” and he disconnects the phone. Waiting there, withstanding the malevolent glares from the people waiting for me to exit the trial room, the appreciative looks of the female shoppers ( after all I was wearing a “different” tshirt) and the irritated security guard repeatedly asking me if I was done, were the most frustrating 15 minutes in quite a while for me. I called up Flattie again, “What the hell….where are you?” Flattie,”Eh….arre yaaar…I have exited the mall man….i am waiting outside…McDoanld’s ke outlet ke pass..eating a burger..ab anndar aaane ko bahut time lagega”..wtf…BETRAYED BY MY FLATTIE…after all that I had done for him!!
This totally violates the Flat-mate Code of Conduct and point 7 of the Flatmate JD I mentioned earlier. Outraged, I denied Flattie any expert comments on the clothes he tried on from that point onwards resulting in him having to end the day empty handed. I would recommend that you too do the same to him in case he approaches any one of you for help. Am attaching the photo of the shameless betrayer here for you all to easily recognize him and save yourself the embarrassment of being left high and dry in a trial room.