Thursday, May 24, 2007

Solitude

Solitude......I have come to understand the true meaning of this word after spending nearly 2 months in my sleepy lil hometown ..with its river just a few hundred meters away...with its cows grazing here and there...with its people waking up at 5 and sleeping at 9...with its absolute calm...

With no pubs, multiplexes, coffee houses, pizza huts or cool roadside cafe's to hang out in, and with a faulty hard disk cable, there is nothing for me to occupy my time and mind with...such circumstances can be frustrating at first for someone used to a much racier lifestyle of the city..but slowly...i have realised that this has given me an opportunity to connect to a different aspect of myself. My self.

With our whirlwind lifestyles and rushed schedules, we barely have time to think and assimilate what we see happening around us. We let the new channels and their experts or newspaper editorials do the thinking for us and pass on their views as our opinions...we have no time for old friends or family...we forget what wet mud smells like after the first rain...or what it feels like to wake up with no worries and just a bright day ahead to look forward to...we forget what it is like to be alive !

My time here has allowed me to realise some things that i have neglected, like keeping in touch with old friends, reading, keeping in touch with my family...not just my parents ..but my extended family...i have realised the importance that is attached by our elders to religion and culture and heritage and even though i might not share some of their views, at least i have decided to try and study them and maybe discover what it is all about. I have realised that my responsibilities are many, that i have to suddenly grow up and make mature decisions..and i have discovered that i am capable of doing that.

I have also realised one thing...its important to play the game of life, but it is even more important to step off the playing field from time to time and analyse it..

PS: The most interesting thing to happen today was a football match between two teams ( no one knows their names) in the local church ground. One of them won 2-0, but it was more of an excuse for the whole village to gather and gossip.

7 comments:

deepti said...

mahaaaa globe!! :D

Mrunalini said...

:)
simba on a solitude trip.. thats cool to know..waiting for more thought provoking stuff( am i mistaken here:P) given that u hav decided to spend more time with urself :)

i i said...

Been spending way too much time with yourself lately, kid?

You've seriously got to go out and get some life! Never expected you could ramble on so much without making any sense

:D :P :D :P :D

i i said...

And I'm back in business, by the way.

Look out, world! Here I am, once more!

Vimal said...

@ Simba - though it did surprise me a little that this post came from you, I agree with you that peaceful solitude can help u know urself better.
also most of us are so used to all these gadgets that we can't even imagine what life would be without these stuff. and thats why ur statement abt switching off ourselves now and then is very important. keep it in mind even after u join work.

@Others - all u fresher bacchas! what do u all know abt life? wait till u all work for sometime. and till then stop teasing poor simba.

Simba said...

thanks vimal..its only us mature people with workex who realise the importance of some time by ourselves to reflect on our life ...well..these kids will learn as the grow up :D

Mrunalini said...

@simba - phew !!!